Recently I started doing more web development, and decided instead of developing, my web ideas locally upon my machine, I could create a webdav upon my machine using debian packages, no compiling etc. To create this system, took me about 600 seconds in total. This is the sequence I took to create the webdav system.
1. Install apache2 package/software.
2. Activate the webdav modules within apache2.
Now lets edit your apache default configuration. You can use a different virtualhost if you choose. I choose the default since my development server was upon a vmware instance. I built the instance just for web development work.
3. Go to the default configuration file of your apache2 for to modify for webdav usauge.
4. Now lets edit the configuration file.
5. Edit your configuration file to reflect like mine below.
Lets explain the parts of the configuration you need to know.
This is the top level directory where your web files reside.
This is the how this directory configuration, change if your need more, I left mine default.
This line above tells me if I want the call /var/www /dev/ upon my browser or application like dreamweaver etc. e.g. http://www.example.com/share
The about lines sets up the level of security. Since my server is a internal server only, I only used basic security.
6. Next step is to create the password file that our users and there password is located.
You need to enter the password for the user, when the above command is entered.
7. We need to change the permissions of the passwd.dav file
8. Now restart the apache2 webserver application.
9. Testing the application can be done via the application cadaver. We need to first get the